When driving any car you want to feel safe behind the wheel and know that your family/friends in the passenger seats are protected. We take a look at medium to large sized SUVs which are becoming increasingly popular with many throughout the UK and the top five of them with 5 Star NCAP Safety ratings which show they have good crash protection as well as being well-equipped with robust crash avoidance technology!
• Volkswagen T-Cross – The 2019 Volkswagen T-Cross comes in first place with a 5 Star overall NCAP Rating. The Adult Occupant safety is rated at 97% with the Child Occupant safety rated at a slightly lower 86%. On the outside for pedestrian safety the Vulnerable Road Users safety rating is 81% and the Safety Assist rating for the safety systems/tech on board is 80% which is the highest of these top mid-sized SUVs.
• SEAT Tarraco – Very close to the top position the 2019 SEAT Tarraco also has an overall 5 Star NCAP Rating but fairs slightly lower in some of the sub-categories. The Adult Occupant safety is rated at 97% which is joint top alongside the VW T-Cross. The Child Occupant safety rated of 84% while the Vulnerable Road Users and Safety Assist ratings are both marginally lower at 79%.
• Lexus UX – In third place also with an NCAP 5 Star Rating the 2019 Lexus UX performing mid-range in all of the sub-categories. It has an Adult Occupant safety rating of 96%, a Child Occupant safety rating of 85% while the Vulnerable Road User safety rating is 82% and a Safety Assist rating of 77%.
• Toyota RAV4 – The 2019 Toyota RAV4 with a 5 Star NCAP Rating has an Adult Occupant safety rating of 93%, a Child Occupant safety rating of 87%, the highest Vulnerable Road User safety rating of all five cars at 85% and a Safety Assist rating of 77%.
• Mercedes-Benz GLE – Rounding off the top five highest ratings the 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE has an Adult Occupant safety rating of 91%, the highest Child Occupant safety rating of the five mid-sized SUVs at 90%, Vulnerable Road User safety rating of 78% and a Safety Assist rating of 78%.
So, there you have it, our top 5 mid-sized SUVs with the best safety ratings.
Do you look at safety ratings when purchasing your next car? Are they an important decision-making factor for you? Let us know your thoughts on our social media channels!
If you want to look up the safety rating of your car or potential next car you can do so on the Euro NCAP website here.
Other Safety Related Guides on CarCliq: