Now that spring is here, the sun is rising earlier and flowers blooming. However, being dazzled by the sun can be a major distraction and is often a factor in summer collisions.
Even though we have many tools that aid in protecting us from the glare, we often forget to use them. This week’s tips from IAM RoadSmart give advice on how to stay safe on the road with the glare of the sun:
● Keep your windscreen clean both inside and out; a dirty screen will magnify the glare and distract your eyes from the road ahead.
● Check for chips or cracks in your windscreen, replace worn wiper blades and make sure your washer bottle is kept well topped up with good quality screen wash to help remove those summer bugs.
● Keep a cloth in your centre console or door pocket to wipe away the dirt that builds up on the inside of your windscreen or on your door mirrors.
● Use your sun visor to block out glare. It may sound pretty obvious but a surprising number of people forget to use it. If you are dazzled by the sun, slow down and leave extra space between yourself and the driver ahead. This will give you more time to regain full control and assess the situation.
● Invest in polarised sunglasses and remember to take a rest if you aren’t as your eyes will strain quickly if you are squinting. But be sure to take any sunglasses off when in tunnels or shaded areas as they may have a negative effect on visibility.
● Remember that when the sun is low behind you, you might be able to see just fine, but oncoming drivers might not see you. So be sure to stay alert in case any oncoming drivers are dazzled by the sun.
So make sure to stay safe out on the road by making use of these tips ensuring you and your car are prepared for Spring & Summer!
Got any spring driving tips of your own? If so, let us know via our social media pages.
Other CarCliq guides that you might be interested in:
For more CarCliq guides click here.