Brexit Is Finally Here…

…So what happens now?

Remember when you’d check the news and you could almost guarantee that the subject of Brexit would come up? Well, after 4 long years it’s finally happened: the UK has left the EU, but what happens now in terms of travel and taking your car abroad? In the last 10 months talk of Brexit has taken a bit of a back seat, namely due to a global pandemic wreaking havoc on the world, but if you’ve been left wondering what the new rules and regulations are surrounding Brexit and travelling in the EU then look no further. We’ve got you covered with everything you need to know.

brexit.png (526 KB)

With the UK currently facing its third lockdown, travel has been severely restricted both within the country and internationally, but that doesn’t mean we can’t prepare you for travelling post-Brexit when restrictions have eased.

Driving - If you’re going to a European country and plan on driving whilst there, then fear not, for UK driving licences will still be valid in the European Union. You will, however, need a green card and GB sticker even if you have the nationality markers on your number plate.

IDP - You may find that you will also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) depending on where you’re travelling to, how long you’re staying and whether you have a photocard driving licence.

An International Driving Permit will cost £5.50 and can be purchased from your local Post Office. It’s important to ensure that you have the right IDP for the EU country you are travelling to, you can find a full list of countries and the IPD that is required for that country on the Government website

Vehicle Documentation - If you are taking your vehicle to an EU country for less than 12 months, then you should carry either your vehicle log book (V5C) or a VE103 to show you’re allowed to use your hired or leased vehicle abroad as you may have to show it if you’re stopped at border controls.

UK motorists travelling abroad in a UK registered vehicle must carry its original Vehicle Registration Document (VRD). If your vehicle is hired or leased, the hire/lease company will not typically release the original VRD however, a Vehicle on Hire Certificate can be issued and can be carried by the driver in place of the original VRD.

Car Insurance - Travelling abroad will require a green card for the vehicle you are driving if you’re driving in the EU, EEA, Switzerland, Serbia or Andorra.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that guarantees that the motorist has the necessary insurance cover for travel in the country that is being travelled to.

In order to obtain a green card you need to contact your insurance provider; it’s advisable to do this about a month prior to travelling so that they can process the request and send out the necessary documentation in time.

Pet Travel - If you’re travelling abroad with your pets post-Brexit then a pet passport will no longer be valid in the EU and Northern Ireland. Before travel, you’ll have to get an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) for your dog, cat or ferret and ensure that the following points are carried out:

  • Pets must be microchipped
  • Vaccinated against rabies
  • Wait 21 days after the initial vaccination before travelling
  • Get an AHC from your vet around a month before you travel and no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.

More information on travelling with your pet can be found here.

Traffic Accidents Abroad - In the event of being involved in a road accident while abroad, you may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the European country where the accident occurred.

However, if an accident is caused by an uninsured driver or if the driver cannot be traced, then UK residents may not receive any compensation at all, but this scenario could vary depending on the country.

Will these new restrictions put you off travelling to Europe? Let us know your thoughts via our social media channels.

Other relevant CarCliq articles that may interest you:

What Does BREXIT Mean For UK Drivers

Drivers Taking Their Rental Or Leased Car Abroad

Surviving The “Are We Nearly There Yet” Journeys

The UK’s Favourite Car Journey Confectionary Revealed

              For more CarCliq Guides, click here.

Search our Stock